Obituaries
& Tributes

(330) 385-1010
Immediate Need

Pre-Arrange
Your Funeral

Contact
Us

Site
Search

The Dawson Funeral Home

In most cases, we will be able to accommodate the bereaved with their requested parlor, depending on availability and scheduling challenges. These can range from those with intimate homelike settings to larger rooms. In each case, careful choices of décor and furnishings have been selected to give individuals a sense of comfort and good taste.

 

There are three entrances to the building, two of which are handicap accessible. Most familiar of the three is the “Monroe Patterson Entrance” just off the main parking lot. Mr. Patterson, whose residence was purchased by Frank A. Dawson in 1939 to make up our original facility, was known for establishing the Patterson Foundry, as well as gifting the land for the Patterson Field athletic complex.

 

The “Phyllis Crook Entrance” is on the west side of the building. The Crook property was part of the estate of Miss Crook who left a large portion of her estate to charity when she died. This entrance features a covered driveway and handicap accessibility.

 

The “Chapel Entrance” is on the north side of the building and features an automated door entrance, as well as all handicap features. Those wanting to come into the building when using the newly constructed parking lot, which runs from Summit Lane to West Sixth, may want to use this door.

 

The Joe Wyand Parlor is named for the company’s long-serving staff member, Joe Wyand, who joined the organization in 1942 and was involved until his death in 1990. It is located just inside the Monroe Patterson Entrance and is close to restrooms, as well as the children’s room and Sportsman Lounge.


Guy Thompson, funeral director of Fort Worth, Texas, has been a friend to the Dawson Family for a number of years. He began his career prior to WWII and has assisted with services at Dawsons on several occasions. The Dawson Family, who, likewise, has traveled to Texas to assist Mr. Thompson, has honored Mr. Thompson by naming The Guy Thompson Room for him.

 

Phyllis Crook was a next-door neighbor to the Dawson Funeral Home for many years. Following her death in 1977, her residence was bequeathed to the First United Methodist Church. In 1979 the Dawson Funeral Home was able to acquire the property from the church and undertook an extensive remodeling project to connect her home to the original facility. The Phyllis Crook Room is easily accessible from The Phyllis Crook Entrance and has recently been updated with new light fixtures and air conditioning.

 

The addition of the Phyllis Crook property also allowed the firm to construct a large room referred to as The Frank C. Dawson Chapel in honor of our Senior Director. Capable of accommodating formal seating for nearly 200 people, the room can also be divided in half for use by two separate families. The room is often used for calling hours and, for the most part, all traditional funeral home services are held in the chapel.

 

The Sportsman’s Lounge is located directly inside the patio on the north side of the building. A collection of sports photos can be found here, along with a soft drink vending machine and coffee bar. A door to the smoking patio allows easy access to this special area.  Refrigeration is available in the Sportsman Lounge, as well as other parts of the funeral home.

 

The J. Herbert Thompson Children’s Room is one of the most popular areas within the Dawson facilities.   Enjoyed by children of all ages, the room has available many toys, games, puzzles and videos.  Childcare and babysitting is not provided, however.

 

One of the newest additions is the new smoker’s patio, located just outside the Sportsman’s Lounge. With Ohio’s no-smoking law voted into place in November 2006, this area makes a suitable place for smokers to congregate. It is well lighted and equipped with two overhead heaters.

 

Located near the chapel, the Phyllis Crook Lounge features a coffee bar, water fountain and comfortable furniture, which families appreciate for the relaxing atmosphere.

 

Although smoking is prohibited near any entrance by state law, a heated area is provided on the west side of the building, but smokers are legally not permitted within 30 feet of any building entrance.

 

Those entering the building from the parking lot just off West Fifth Street will immediately come upon the main office. It is here that all business transactions of the company take place and most questions can be answered.

 

There are four restrooms located on the main floor of the funeral home, including one with handicapped access.

 

Originally developed from the demolition of two homes on the east side of our facility, the east lot can accommodate up to 25 cars and offers easy access to the funeral home.

 

One of the largest off-street parking areas of any business in downtown East Liverpool, the north lot was built in 2006 following acquisition of the Thelma Crouse property, running through to West Sixth Street.

 

A new automatic door entrance has been created on the north side of the funeral home to allow visitors an alternative means of reaching our chapel area from this lot.

 

Immediate Need

If you have immediate need of our services, we're available for you 24 hours a day.

Obituaries & Tributes

It is not always possible to pay respects in person, so we hope that this small token will help.

Pre-Arrangement

A gift to your family, sparing them hard decisions at an emotional time.

Order Flowers

Offer a gift of comfort and beauty to a family suffering from loss.

Daily Grief Support by Email

Grieving doesn't always end with the funeral: subscribe to our daily grief support email, designed to help you a little bit every day, by filling out the form below.

Proudly Serving the Communities of East Liverpool and the entire Tri-State Area

215 West Fifth Street | East Liverpool, OH 43920 | Fax: (330) 385-1163 | Email: fdikedawson@dawsonfuneralhome.com